If “Happiness is a pretty casserole dish,” as our delightful tea towel states, then “Pure bliss is a pretty casserole dish filled with this particular casserole.” (That’s a lot to fit on a tea towel, though, so we went with the first statement for the Vintage Dishes Bonus CD.) Nevertheless, this casserole is comfort food at its best: soft noodles, a creamy, homemade sauce, and even a surprise ingredient (or two)! Enjoy!
2 cups uncooked egg noodles
1 pkg. (10 oz) frozen broccoli cuts
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp flour
1 tsp salt
½ tsp ground mustard (surprise!)
¼ tsp pepper
1 ½ cups milk
1 cup (4 oz) shredded Swiss cheese (surprise again!)
2 cups cubed turkey or chicken (this is a great recipe for after Thanksgiving)
½ cup slivered almonds, toasted
- Cook noodles according to package directions; drain.
- Cook broccoli according to package directions; drain.
- Place noodles and broccoli in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter, then stir in flour, salt, mustard, and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in the milk.
- Bring sauce to a boil; cook and stir for two minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from heat and then stir in cheese until melted.
- Add turkey to the sauce, then pour sauce over noodle mixture and mix it all up!
- Transfer everything to a greased 1 1/2 quart baking dish (preferably a pretty one, as per “happiness” defined above). Sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
Recipe submitted by Jenny L., Marketing Writing Associate